We often have interesting opportunities available for people wishing to join our community either as tenants, lodgers, working residents and sometimes for those wishing to work here on a non-residential basis.
We are also offering academic and creative research residencies…scroll down for details.
All residential roles require a commitment to community living, co-operation, collaboration and sustainability, as well as to the aims of Braziers Park School of Integrative Social Research.
Current Residential Vacancies
PLEASE NOTE: we are not considering any new applicants at present, while we give full consideration to those who have already applied.
Pay, living and food arrangements
Pay & Holiday Information
– The current rate of pay is set at £9/hour. Pre-Covid, residential employees are paid for 16 hours of work per week.
– Holiday entitlement is set at six weeks per calendar year.
Living at Braziers Park
– Resident employees are required to live on site, with a private room and shared facilities provided.
– A ‘Service Occupancy Agreement’ is agreed between the resident employee and the Committee of Management.
– For a private room and shared use of facilities, a deduction of £383.07 is made from the monthly pay. During the Pandemic, this is reduced to £248.
Domestic & Food Arrangements
– In addition to our employment duties, residents share community tasks, such as cooking & cleaning; it is generally hoped that residents will be willing to volunteer for two or three such community tasks each week, through the vehicle of the weekly work rota or the morning meetings.
– Lunch & supper are usually eaten collectively, with one or two people cooking these meals. It is not recommended to cook individual meals in the main kitchen.
– Food is costed at £1.50 for a half-day’s food (breakfast & lunch / snack & supper); £3 for a whole day.
The Recruitment Process for Resident Applicants
On receipt of a promising application form, applicants will be invited for an initial Zoom interview. Subsequent interviews may take place and references are checked. Applicants may then be invited to join us for an initial three-month try-out period (which, in exceptional circumstances, may be extended to 6 months), with a review after 6 weeks. If the applicant is successful, this will lead to becoming a member of the resident community.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the above is slightly different from the established application process and we recognise that this process may not be viable for some people. If an applicant wishes to suggest an alternative approach, we are happy to consider this. There are often many good applicants and only one can be selected, but unsuccessful applicants often continue a relationship with Braziers by becoming members of the Society, joining in on volunteer days, weekends and events. Previous applicants need not reapply for the same role.
Academic & Creative (ACRE) Lodger Opportunities
Braziers Park invites researchers and artists to apply to its Academic and Creative Residency Scheme (ACRE) where a number of rooms in the Main House are available to rent for short or long term stays. ACRE Lodgers will pursue their work, contributing both to Braziers’ research culture and to day-to-day community life. More info can be found here.
Watch this space for upcoming vacancies
Resident roles are potentially available at any time in the following areas:
- Education Workers
- Kitchen Coordination
- Gardening and Food Growing
- Office Administration
- Campsite Coordination
- Lodgers & Tenants
If you are interested in a role in any of these areas that are presently fully-staffed, you complete the application form (when available) and note that you would like us to file your interest in our database, and contact you should an opportunity arise. We will keep this information safe and secure in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation, 2018.
Read our Privacy Notice for more information about how we handle your data.